Destination, Riyadh: Shipping to an International Client
The design uses a combination of locally sourced products, known suppliers operating in the Middle East and trusted suppliers here in the UK. Shipping products to any part of the globe can be the trickiest part of the procurement process, so we’ve outlined the major costs and requirements you’ll have to factor into the design.We would always recommend going with a trusted shipping company. We use Dracott & Fennemore London, who are not only fantastic to work with but have experience with both handling furniture and shipping abroad. Before a quote can be produced, you’ll need to be able to answer the following:
- How much stuff do you have? Enough for a large container? Would this be either a 20ft or 40ft sea freight container?
- If so, would your items be consolidated at the shipping company’s warehouse and then load and ship to Riyadh?
- Would there be any collections required or will you arrange for the suppliers to deliver straight to the warehouse? (This normally applies more to people who are moving and want some of their original belongings to go with the new items).
- Is all of the furniture new? Is it being sent to an individual or to a Company in Riyadh?
- When delivered, where are the items going? Is it a house, apartment, ground floor? Is there parking or a lift?
The costs involved:
- Warehousing / checking: Your shipping company will charge for accepting and checking over the goods as they arrive. Expect to pay around £20.00 per hour + VAT. They are usually pretty speedy at this, so it’s never a big outlay.
- Storage: This differs from place to place. Some warehouses store by space, others by container. Expect an average of £25.00 + VAT per 7 cbm per week.
- Container loading: This is the labour involved in stacking your goods for international transport and documenting every piece. Expect an average of £450.00 + VAT for 20ft, or £600.00 + VAT for 40ft.
- Ocean freight and charges from a London warehouse to Riyadh dry port / customs terminal: Ours came out to about £1500.00 for approx 20ft, or £2000.00 for approx 40ft.
- Destination charges: £2500.00 for approx 20ft, £3400.00 for approx 40ft.